Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:15:13 -0500
From:         Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>
Subject:      Re; Undercoating, and Bed Liner etc.

Malcom,

I used the urethane bed liner on the bottom of my Van in 90 degree heat, so I'm sure it was dry, and there are zero holes anywhere. Anyone who applies any kind of finish when the surface is wet is nut's.

Bedliner is urethane based product, not asphalt or tar.

This oiling of the interior panels is OK, and I have used drained gear oil, on other vehicles, with great sucess.

Cosmoline is the ultimate answer----- Bed liner on top of outer panels ( wheel wells etc.) is excellent too. In a matter of fact, Rino Hyde bed liner's advertise the use of their product for undercoating as well as an exterior finish---go figure !

Malcolm Stebbins wrote;

Subject: Re: Another rust hot spot

I've been told to be VERY careful of the spray cans of tar/asphalt/bedliner etc. When sprayed on new-good, painted service they can be wonderful, but when sprayed on old, partly rusted (and perhaps moist) surfaces (wheelwells of vanagons) they can actually trap moisture in behind the coating and then you will not see the rusting out parts till the whole thing falls apart. If one can get the area DRY and wire brush off most of the surface rust, then paint the area with "rust converter", then paint with rust--inhibiting paint, then top coat, then your rubberized bed-liner stuff, you might have a chance, but one can not get up in the seams/joints and that is where the Krown (oily) rust-inhibitor stuff works very well, it wicks up into all of the crevices and forms a barrier against the moisture. IMHO it is a well spent CDN$110/year. For all who live along the CDN border, it is a worthwhile annual trek. Malcolm (Halifax) On 23 Oct 2001, at 0:29, Terry Kay wrote: Roy and other's---- I have found that if you had purchased several spray cans of black urethane rubberized bed liner, and applied several heavy coats of it to the mentioned problimatic area's, the rust problem would have been drasticly curtailed. I blew this stuff into the wheel well's, on the lower rocker seams, and the panel under the front bumper two years ago, and it is all still rust free. Another proven example of better living through chemicals.:>) Later,                ________             |[  ] [  ] [ ]\            |    |    |    |      ~~~ ~||-(())----(())-| Terry-- 74 Campmobile- (Clementine) 85 GL- (Delilah) 86 BMW 325 ES- (Eva) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~     "In life, it is much better to want something you cannot have--- Than to have something you can't get rid of" (T.K.)