Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:55:14 -0400
From:         Kenneth D Lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 85 GL 1.9 engine mystery...
Comments: To: rior@GARLIC.COM

Rio; Just a guess on the cam bearing, since the crank turns CW it would push the cam to the left. You did not mention the condition of the main bearings and journals.

Good Luck and Drive Safely Ken Lewis 86 Crewcab,60 356 http://Neksiwel.20m.com/

On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:36:47 -0700 Rio Rafael <rior@GARLIC.COM> writes: > Hi guys: > My original problem with my van was low oil pressure at idle. > Replaced the > idiot light, no help. Installed a mechanical gauge and confirmed > that it was > very low at idel, but did build to almost 40, eventually (at high > enough > rpm). Compression was excellent. 95k miles. > > So: > I have dissembled my 85 GL's engine... > Good news: > The cylinders still show hone marks and have no ridges. > The heads are uncracked, apparently (!). > The engine was absolutely sludge-free. > Rod bearings are unspun and don't look very worn. > > Bad news: > Piston pins were not being well lubricated and had worn/galled > somewhat. > The cam bearings have sections missing from the shell (just about 1 > mm deep, > almost like galling). > The first cam bearing (nearest the cam gear) has the bearing > material worn > down to the copper... but ONLY on the shell half that is the left > case half. > The other shell is not nearly as worn. What could have caused this? > > Strange news: > 1 lifter had the locking circlip/wire completely missing (so the > plunger was > free to move as much as it wanted in or out). No clip could be > found. > > Looking forward to any comments you might have. I would like to find > the > source of my oiling troubles before getting this thing all together > again...wouldn't want to overlook anything. > > > Thanks > > Rio > 83.5 Westy > 85 GL > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.