Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:54:27 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: Rear disks in a Vanagon

>I've been playing around with the idea of putting disks on the rear of the >van. I haven't heard of anybody doing this, any thoughts from the list? >Dave K.

Hansen Motorsport in der Vaterland makes kits to fit various brakes to the T3. I will eventually be buying their kit to fit front discs/calipers from a Porsche 993, or custom brakes to fit my 16" CLK wheels. These brakes will be killer ones, capable of stopping ultraquick (hope it doesn't do front-wheelies!).

Hansen is currently working on a rear-disc kit too.

e-mail Jens Hansen <jens.hansen@hansen-motorsport.de>

website <www.hansen-motorsport.de>

The front-disc kit is DM1300; buy the calipers and rotors (full set of front AND rear) for $1000 or less from a US wrecker. Only the 993 discs fit the VW stud-pattern, but custom kits are available with any stud-pattern and offset.

Oettinger's 4-wheel-disc kit is only rated by the TUV for about 180kmh. They are also utilitarian-ugly, whereas the Hansen ones are the sort you want wheels with big holes in to see them through!

I can forward jpegs of Hansen's and Oettinger's kits to anyone who is interested.

The Australian rear-disc kit (made for T2 and T3 vans) I am told is so flimsy it sounds outright dangerous; the caliper carrier is so weak it may twist and jam the brakes on.

Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> ph 64 (3) 473-8863 fax 64 (3) 479-7527 84 VW Caravelle GL (to be fitted with SVX engine & Porsche G50 trans) RWD 87 Corolla 1.8 DX CE80 diesel sedan 89 Corolla 1.8 DX CE96 diesel van/wagon 89 Corona 2.0 D Select CT170 diesel sedan 92 Toyota Estima Lucida (=narrow-body Previa) 2.2 turbodiesel RWD