Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Oct 2001 14:05:17 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Re: shifter bushing kit
Comments: To: "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU>

The back bushing (in front of the tranny) in particular takes a beating because it so exposed. It is easy to get at. Clean and lubricate once or twice a year. It really helps. I think VW fixed this problem later by covering this joint with a boot? The ball and socket at the tranny shaft is another spot to look at. I cleaned and lubricated mine when I had to remove it to get at the trans. fill plug. It would be a good time to change your gear oil... It never ends....

Jay

"Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU> on 10/22/2001 12:53:22 PM

Please respond to "Scott G. Terry" <sgterry@ENGINEERING.UCSB.EDU>

To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM cc: (bcc: Jay L Snyder/AE/DuPont) Subject: Re: shifter bushing kit

Greg, Have you checked the adjustment of your transmission linkage? Yes, replacing bushings could improve the feel of the shifter, but I would start with linkage adjustment first. I don't think you have to drop the gas tank even if you replace the linkage entirely, but that's only by recollection of the underside of my van. At any rate, removing the spare wheel gains you access to the cup and ball joint at the base of the shifter which you'll need to do the adjustment. I find it worth the extra five minutes to remove the spare wheel carrier completely for better access. The adjustment procedure is in the Haynes and Bentley manuals, or try searching the archives for "pinch bolt" and "transmission." The same day I adjusted my linkage I lubricated all those friction surfaces with moly disulfide grease. So far the shifting action is much better. Good Luck, Scott '85 Westy "Pearl" Santa Barbara, CA >Hey folks, > >Lately it seems that first gear has been a bit hard to find, and I'm >thinking that replacing the shifter bushings would solve the problem. I >recall hearing something once about a kit that had all the required >parts in it sold by ken at vanagin. I can't seem to find this on his >site anywhere. Is this a kit that other vendors have available too? Is >it an expensive dealer part if I go that route? Also, can the job be >done without dropping the gas tank? What do you folks suggest? > >thanks, > >greg.