Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:22:16 -0400
From:         Jay L Snyder <Jay.L.Snyder@USA.DUPONT.COM>
Subject:      Lifter Thoughts

After installing new lifters and going through several adjustments, I have come to some conclusions and would like to hear any feedback from the list. I have a tired 1.9l wbx that came to me with 120K+ miles on the original motor. It had a damaged lifter due to the PO's attempt to replace a rusted out pushrod return tube. I replaced the lifter. I tried adding CD-2 to the oil as a treatment for the noisy lifters and this set me back probably 3 or 4 months. I didn't realize what the CD-2 was doing to my oil pressure and the lifters. The engine would just fade after 15 or 20 minutes of highway driving. It would continue to run, but with no power. After going through many parts, draining the oil (and the CD-2 with it) fixed the problem. I eventually replaced all the lifters, return tubes and seals. I am now running my lifters at nearly "zero" lash. I backed off the adjusters and turned them in by hand until I felt resistance, tightened a little further, (less than 1/16th turn) and locked them in. It starts better and idles better. It actually cranks faster. It sounds like a sewing machine, but I don't get any loud clacking or hammering like I had at 1 turn, 1/2 turn, or 1/4 turn. I believe the lifter problem in older engines is due to several things. The low oil pressure prevents running more than 1/4 turn or less of lash. When the hot idle pressure is only 5 or 6 psi, there is not much left in the lifter for the next start up. Most of us are running 20-50 oil. If you have a gauge installed, you see it goes up and pegs out at 85 to 90 psi on a cold start. This means the relief is opening, and who knows how much oil the lifters are getting. I have seen several posts about wear in the camshaft bearings, while the main bearings appear to be OK. This would only hurt the oil pressure to the lifters. I think an oil cooler would keep the oil viscosity up, but I haven't figured out a good way to do this on the 1.9l. I guess I will just put up with it until a rebuild comes along.

Jay