Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:36:42 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: How does a Westy Camper Handle in the Snow?

Rich,

I use to have an 84 Wolfburg Westy... It was beautiful two tone brown, I loved it. But that was then. I lived in the mountains of Utah,in the Wasatch range in the town of Price. I got over the mountains and to Salt Lake just fine.

One day I though I could go skiing and attempted to drive the van up to Little Cottonwood canyon to do some shushing. At the time I had the cheezy stock Continentals. I spun out and got stuck so well down this unplowed road that it took all the 8 buddies to push it back out.

So ... with stock tires, I would stay away from snow. Get snow tires on it.

My old 71 Westy would not have gotten stuck where this Vanagon got stuck so I would say the older Type 2 had better traction and weight ratios.

Last year I purchased Nokkia Hakkaapalita 185R14 C reinforced for my 89 Syncro Westy. These can be studded if you wish, but they are fine to drive around most of the year. They worked fine on snow and slush but even a Syncro can spin out on ice. I had a close call on a patch of black ice with these tires and doing about 10 mph. I tapped on the brakes and the van did a 180 facing on coming traffic.

Ok those are my stories.

Cheers,

Joel 89 Syncro Westy MV Rochester NY.