Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2001 18:16:14 -0800
From:         Ed L Lloyd <elloyd10@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      New to List

Hey, you guys are going to get me fired!

I’m new to this list, found it from a recent article in the Wash Post newspaper, and signed on.

It’s amazing to find discussions of things I have dealt with over the years – flashing oil light, dripping heads, stopped odometer, parking garage problems, camping equipment questions, trip reports, practical advice and opinions, etc.

I find myself reading each and every posting, whether about Roo bars in Australia, leaking heads in Mexico, or brakes and wheels in California or Canada, and working through the questions and problems in my mind as I follow the List comebacks.

Now this is really putting a dent in my E-mail time. (Wife and teenage son are always trying to bump me off the computer so they can use it.)

The solution I found was to forward the unread messages to myself at work. Now I spend a good portion of the next morning reading them and dodging my boss! Trouble is we recently got an e-mail “sniffer”, which will surely nab me soon, but I can’t stop.

This leads to the question of why. What is so interesting about these postings? Why bother to keep the old van running? (It is a daily driver since I purchased it new in 87.)

The wife and kids are hinting at trading it in on a new car, but I don’t want to for some reason. I am fortunate enough to be able to pay cash for a new car if I wanted, but I don’t want to.

Does this mean I am becoming a van nut? Is there a way to have a job, a wife, and a Vanagon too? Any ideas on how to deal with this?

Ed in Maryland 87 Westy The "Van with no Name," at least not yet.