Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2001 01:48:48 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Transmission Ratios, Diesels, Conversions
Comments: To: drillock@earthlink.net

I've chosen to reply in reverse order to Mark's comments. I've placed my comments in bold hoping to avoid even more confusion:

In a message dated 10/27/01 1:23:27 PM, drillock@EARTHLINK.NET writes:

<< And yes, if a mere 60 mph is your intended highway cruising speed then

the diesel r+p ratios are useable. I just got back from a 1200 mile

interstate trip in my 4.57 r+p TD Vanagon. I did not see any passenger

vehicles traveling at such a low speed except uphill. Who in God's name

would install a Tiico conversion and then drive at such obstructionist

speeds on long trips? Only a masochist would hold 60 mph for hours on I5

with semis constantly running up their butts at 70 mph. "The most

efficient utilization of an engine" is not always the primary

consideration. Sometimes real world factors interrupt the dreaming.

Unbelievable! Real World my posterior! Most efficient and optimal gearing choices refer to a reasonable midband operation - that is, a condition where sufficient power reserves remain so as to exceed that velocity, and lower speed power remains such that the engine is not devoid of the torque needed to fend off small inclines. I never suggested a speed governor holding the damn thing at 60.

As for velocity chest pounding, I just returned from a trip from LA to Monterey, then Santa Cruz and back. 830 miles. The run to and from 152 was on I5. In my abused Westfalia with DZ transmission (5.86 r&p) I ran between 75 and 85 most of the way. The exceptions were the Grapevine which I cleared at 62 full throttle in third, and one semi where I had to push it up to 90. I averaged 17.9 mpg for the trip as I was in a hurry. I had a maximum oil temperature of 235 F (113 C), minimum oil pressure of 34 psi with Mobil 1 15W-50, and a maximum EGT reading of 740 C (1365 F) running at 85 mph in the closed loop mode. (These numbers refer to 215/75x15 tires, so the actual speed is around 3 to 4% higher). This was done with AC on. I am pleased to say that I was not passed by passenger car or semi. As I have indicated many times in the past, this engine/transmission package can wind beyond 6100 in fourth (around 98) on a straight and level. The chip redline is 6700 rpm. I often spin up to 6500 rpm in 3rd to pass on hills (70 mph).

60 mph my sensitized hemorrhoids!

I guess it all depends on which set of engineers you have an

affinity for. Look at the gearing choices of the VW engineers who

actually were responsible for putting the gas inline 4 engine into

production Vanagons. Don't expect to see 4 speeds with diesel r+p ratios

(5.83, 5.43). They did NOT choose such low gearing. I believe 4.83 is

what they mostly used, a waterboxer ratio. Also offered 4.57 AFAIK. Were

they brushing aside their own engineering data?

OK, now this is a valid point. Going through Helmut's transmission ratio page and assuming its veracity, several points are clear:

The 67 horse, A/C engine pulls an overall gear of 3.89 (top) and 17.28 in 1st. For the 1.9 WB 82 HP engine the values are 4.11 and 18.26. For the diesels with 5.86 r&p, the numbers are 4.89 and 22.17; with the 5.43 gears, they are 4.62 and 20.54. The Euro TD runs 4.29 and 20.79. For the 5 speed diesels, the numbers are 4.18 and 22.31, or 4.45 and 22.31, or 4.51 and 22.31, and for the most recent 3.96 and 19.84. For the SA transmissions, the 93.8 HP engine and the 162 HP engine run a 4.833 r&p with an overall ratio of 4.11 and 18.26 for first. Same as the 1.9 and 2.1L WB power trains. The SA 5 speeds run an overall top gear ratio of 3.94 and 3.73, with 1st gear numbers of 19.86 and 18.76. For the automatics, 68 hp engine runs a 4.09 in top gear as do the 76 to 88 HP 1.9L WB engines and the 93.4 and 109.9 HP 2.1L engines. I assume the 3.74 R&P was a short run fluke.

From these ratios, some observations:

1. The engineers are running the same gearbox for a wide variety of engine power outputs. If you include the A/C, the WBs and the SA I4 and I5's in the group, the final drive top gear ratios run from 3.73 to 4.11. In this group, the strongest engine pulls a 4.11 and the weakest pulls the 3.89. The range in power is a factor of 2.4x! Of course, the old A/C engine makes its torque max at 3000 rpm, while the SA I5 makes its max at 4500 rpm. Of course these gear ratios don't begin to relate to the differences.

1a. Two possibilities - A). These are the same engineers that placed the heater fan in the observed relationship to the dash. or B). They are running at cruise with nearly the maximum load the engine can pull.

2. All the gear ratios give a first gear pull of about 20 to 1. It is hard to start this box from a standstill.

3. Typical engine and gearing practice is to engineer a 4 speed gear box with upper ratios such that you can shift from 4th to third and hit the torque max at speeds around 60 mph so there is strong thrust for passing. Not possible with these gearboxes which give a 50 percent rpm drop from 4th to 3rd (4 speed) or 35 percent for 5th to 4th.

So, I return to my former statements:

1. The wheel thrust values are as I have given them in the previous post.

2. Acceleration from any speed is a direct function of the number of pounds of thrust you have available above and beyond the amount you expend to maintain the current speed.

3. Lifting the vehicle up and over any grade encountered will come out of your thrust reserve. High reserve, climb a 5 percent incline without slowing at your chosen velocity. Low reserve, make that a 0.5 percent incline, or drop a gear.

4. Major impact on longevity is load, not rpm in this range of piston speeds.

5. Fuel consumption is function of load, not just rpm. 8 percent less fuel for 40 percent lower rpm.

6. For modest power/torque conversions the DZ is good, the DZ with 215/75x15 wheels or the DM is a fair alternative. The 1.8L I4 engines with a DK trans will be about as swift as the 1.9L WB when not running on water/glycol vapor mixtures, the TIICo with the 4.83 r&p will go like the 2.1 wb it replaced. Put those I4's in the DZ, DZ and 15's or the DM and you will have substantially more thrust available than the running 2.1.

7. Thrust is fun.

8. Spending money on overpriced conversions is painful.

9. Assuage pain with pleasure (er fun)!

10. Masochists convert and go slow as stock.

11. With higher power and torque reserves, go for the 4.11 overall or the 3.89.

12. Frankly, I took the maximum speed I wanted (100 mph), divided by the engine redline (6300 for the normal I4), the tire revs per mile value, and the gear ratio in fourth to determine the best ratio for me.

13. To each, his own view of the real world!

Mark >>