Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:03:20 -0800
From:         Jere Hawn <jbrschawn@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: How does a Westy Camper Handle in the Snow?

Hi all,

I don't have the camper I only have the GL version (manual) and in the snow I find it very comfortable. My experiences come from Wyoming winters, New England winters and countless blizzards I have encountered. I have never used chains or snow tires and I find the GL to be sure footed and doesn't easily get away from you with out ample notice. The spoiler on my 90 GL picks up a lot of snow and makes quite the noise but always comes through. In deep slush I have had a problem with the O2 sensor not working properly (I think it either shorted out or just wouldn't warm up) but when I got out of it cleared up. When the snow turns to ice the GL still handles better than any rear wheel drive car made in America. However, wind becomes a factor when driving on ice, especially wind from a semi passing you. I never been blown off the road but the first couple of times it happens can be unnerving but once you get use to it life returns. My own wives tale: when I'm in the deep snow traveling I never turn off the engine until I'm down for the night, I let it idle when I gas up and I do the fast food routine... with all that water everywhere I apply Newton's basic laws...a vanagon in motion tends to stay in motion verses a van at rest tends to stay at rest.

If you are talking mud.... forget it... buy a Synchro or a jeep.

Jere 90 GL 88 GL