Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:51:13 -0700
From:         Brian Bush <gopedcrazy@NETZERO.NET>
Subject:      Re: TDI availability in the USA (info from European Car mag)
Comments: To: David Jaffe <orhiker1@HOME.COM>

I just wanted to pass along this message I received from Audi regarding the availablilty of a 2.5l TDI in the US. I too have a TDI in my '98 Jetta which I love dearly, but would LOVE to replace my wife's gas Jetta with an A-6 with the 2.5l TDI!

From: Auditalk <auditalk@audi.com> To: 'Brian Bush' <gopedcrazy@netzero.net>

Brian, we'll be happy to pass along your preferences. Many changes do take place because enough customers have requested them. Thank you for your participation.

Angie AudiTalk

-----Original Message----- From: Brian Bush [mailto:gopedcrazy@netzero.net] Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2001 10:16 PM To: Auditalk Subject: Re: TDI

Angie, Thanks for the response. I currently own a couple of Jetta's, one of which is a TDI model which I love to death. My wife's is a gas model which is OK, but we would love to replace it with an A6 with a 2.5l TDI if that were ever to become available in the US... Oh well. If you could just pass along my sentiments to management I would appreciate it. I will be standing in line for one of these if you ever begin importing them here.

Thanks, - Brian

David Jaffe wrote:

> Folks, > > I love my '97 Passat TDI. This 90bhp diesel engine makes a mid-size car > surprisingly perky & gives 44mpg in mixed driving (800 miles between > fill-ups). I've read wistfully about the larger, more powerful TDI engines > available in Europe, and wondered why I can't buy one of these engines. My > envy led me to two theories: criminal stupidity to corporate conspiracy.... > > Now, I found an objective answer (which doesn't imply that either of my > theories were wrong, BTW) in the Nov '01 issue of European Car, in its > review of the 2002 Audi A6: > > "An unfortunate set of circumstances - legal roadblocks, fuel quality, > price - have kept VWAG's wonderful TDI technology from reaching the U.S. > market. Combining healthy torque with high fuel mileage, the TDI comes in > three flavors: a new 1.9-liter four with pump-injector fuel injection and an > output of 130bhp; a new 2.6-liver V6 with 155bhp; and a more powerful 2.5 V6 > outputting 180bhp. Look for some of this technology to come to the U.S. > around 2004 when the sulfur content of our fuel is reduced and emissions > levels can be met." > > Sign me up - I want one in my Syncro! > > Regards, > > David Jaffe > 1986 Syncro West'faux'lia > Portland, Oregon

[text/html]