Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (October 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:02:53 -0800
From:         Edward Nutter <eanutter@POSTOFFICE.PACBELL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Removing rear brake drums?
Comments: To: Gnarlodious <Gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>

The castle nut is cranked down to over 300 ft/lbs. I forget the exact amount but it's in the manual. It's enough to expand the nuts diameter slightly, enough to grip the drum. Later when rust accumulates the two pieces are really hard to separate. I've tried heat and hammering. If you do get the drum off and find that the brakes do need to be changed you'll then discover that A) the wheel stud carrier that the castle nut is holding on is in the way and that you can't get at the break pieces, and B) you won't be able to get the drum back on because of the expansion of the stud carrier.

Get used to the idea of removing and replacing those nuts, or pay a shop to check and maintain your rear brakes.

There is a special tool for those nuts. It's not terribly expensive, although I've had mine for years. I got it at a local VW specialty shop. It looks like a big box end wrench with a very short handle with ears. There's an square hole for a 1/2 in breaker bar. You'll also need a large ball peen hammer or a small (4 lb) hand sledge. Here's how I use them.

1. Remove the cotter pin from the nut.

2. With the van on the ground, squire a whole lot of penetrating oil into the threads.

3. Go do something else for at least an hour.

4. Stick the breaker bar (typically at least 18" long) into the special tool and apply it to the nut.

5. Apply some pressure on the nut, enough to hold the tool in place when you start banging on the special tools ear with the hammer or hand sledge.

6. Start banging in the direction of removing the nut. The combination of the breaker bar pressure, the impacts from the sledge, and the penetrating oil will start the nut moving. At some point you'll be able to move the nut without using the hammer. Stop there.

7. Jack up the van. Apply the parking brake and finish removing the nut.

8. Release the parking brake and remove the two 10 mm nuts.

9. Remove the drum. It'll be easy at this point.

You need to remove the stud carrier to actually change the brakes. I've found it's a good idea to remove it anyway and liberally grease the axle spline. The carrier also holds in the axle bearings so don't dig in there too far. I also use plenty of grease on the threads when replacing the castle nut, so I don't have to use penetrating oil next time.

Once you get the brakes inspected or changed you need to torque the big nut.

1. Put the stud carrier back on and screw the castle nut back on hand tight.

2. Reinstall the drum and its 10 mm bolts.

3. Adjust the brakes until they drag noticably on the drum. Match the drag on both sides since you'll be changing both brakes sets at once, won't you.

4. Apply the parking brake. If it's not tight enough, repeat step three until it can be applied firmly.

5. Use the special tool and breaker bar to tighten the nut to 150 ft/lbs or so.

6. Put the van back on the ground.

7. I apply the final torque by carefully slipping the special tool onto the nut with the breaker bar extending out to the right. I carefully climb up on the end of the bar, and my 210 lbs on an 18" arm will apply reasonably close the the 300+ ft/lbs required.

8. Replace the cotter pin.