Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:17:37 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trilogy of the trip to libby montana part 3 bad alternator

Arriving in portland I began to see that the 02 light was flickering at low rpm. My battery light had not worked since I own the van but the 02 light clearly indicated no charging, as I had confirmed this with the volt meter. This gave me some cause for worry but the light would go out above 2k rpm. Tired from the long drive from Libby I looked under the van from force of habit. Oh no, the dreaded coolant leak!!!! In the morning I could tell the leak was from near the water pump, perhaps the weeping hole weeping with me but perhaps a pint a day at most. Determined to make it home, we pushed past eugene into coos bay and spent the night at sunset beach campground, every bit as nice as the listmembers suggested. In the morning both the 02 light and battery light began coming on at higher rpm(above 2k). I was pleased to see the battery light worked but uncomfortable about the degradation of the charging system. Checking the back meter system near the stove made me feel better as the light appeared green for go. 30 miles later things changed as I could see my fuel gauge and coolant temp gauge began dropping. Fully aware of the significance of this I asked my navigator to plot the nearest town. The weather was cool so perhaps the coolant fan would not start. I wondered how much voltage the ecu needed to function????? Port Orford was several miles away. Reaching port orford we spotted "Joe's Auto Kare" to the left. I foolishly turned on my left blinker. Engine went dead and I coasted into Joe's.