Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 13:19:38 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Baldwin Oil filters

Perhaps you don't care, but others might, especially those looking to use synthetics with extended drain intervals, which is what got me looking into this. Although Bosch/Mann are good filters, there are better ones out there, such as PureOne & Mobil1. The fact that these two DON'T offer a VW diesel filter indicates that they ARE aware of the differences in bypass pressures between a VW diesel and say a FRAM PH8A (Ford 5.0L) filter, which are physically similar, but far different in practice. Since Baldwin does make a VW/Volvo diesel fitment, and they are a well reputed premium filter maker, they appear to be the only choice for a premium VW diesel oil filter. Here is an excerpt from the TDI club forums which goes into more detail, for those who do care:

======== Thought I'd update the group on my search for information on the amsoil filters.

Okay. I already posted my emails from amsoil and Baldwin regarding that the filters are made by Baldwin for our application. Hastings makes some of the amsoil filters too.

Amsoil says that the filters are different then the normal baldwin filters.

Baldwin says that the cans label is printed to the companies specs ( your logo goes here ), but the filters are the same. They make filters for other people besides amsoil.

Called Baldwin. 1800 822 5394

Asked for a local distributor.

Found one 15 mins from me, in Cambridge ontario.

Ok. The amsoil filter SDF15 is NOT the same type of filter that VW uses, but it fits...heck lots of filters fit. If you read this brochure from amsoil. http://24.112.110.104/gtdproject/fluids/g385.pdf

You can see a cross reference of other filter manufacturers and see what filters the SDF15 is the same as. For fram for example its a PH8A, while the correct FRAM for our application is a PH3569 ( I'm talking about the spin on upto A3 ppl, not the cartridge element A4 filter ).

Both filters will fit though. The PH8A is for example used on 5.0L ford engines for example. In a fram, I certainly wouldn't use the PH8A, because they designed the filter with a lower burst pressure rating since thats all the ford engine requires. VWs have very high oil pressure when cold, and will deform this filter. However other companies design the filters with much higher burst ratings so both can be used in most cases.

Back to my point.

Baldwin makes three filters that we can use.

B114 - which is the correct filter and is a premium cellulose filter. So this would be equivelent to a Bosch, mann, mahle/knecht, hegst...etc...good filters.

They also make two others.

B2 - again a premium cellulose filter, same type as the fram PH8A.

And they make this one which is what I believe the amsoil filter is.

V2-F - cellulose and wound cottom design. The tech people at baldwin describe it as a super premium filter, that is a depth filter type...the guy spent 15 mins lecturing me about the differences between screen vs depth filters...and how they are vastly superior...kept trying to explain I already knew and he didn't have to sell me on the superiority of the design etc.

Anyways. There ya go.

Price.

V2-F - $7.67 B2 - $4.36

B114 $6.65

Canadian money above.

Amsoil SDF15 $16.25

This is going to be my next oil filter. The V2-F

You can ask the tech people for the HS806 numbers to compare and they end up being the same as the Amsoil too... =========