Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Nov 2001 11:07:28 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: 85 - 91 Vanagon -- 2wd drive performance in snow and ice.

>I am looking into buying a Westy Vanagon (85 - 91) and would like input >about their performance in snow and on ice. How would you compare their >performance with a vehicle which has front wheel drive? > >Thanks in advance, >Rick Gomes

My 57 Split panel was great in ice and snow; only offroad 4WDs could go further in snow. Never drivena Vanagon in ice or snow... yet.

My experience with FWD in such conditions is limited to Toyota diesels... which are unstoppable, even crawling up really steep streets covered in sheet-ice, while a gas version of the same car couldn't make it even halfway up (I used to drive taxis, and on such nights our Corolla and Corona diesels would just keep on truckin' while gas Corona taxis were abandoned at funny angles all over the hill roads where their drivers gave up before they could crash!). This is a combination of the heavier diesel engine and extra diesel low-end torque. My RWD Skyline diesel was utterly hopeless, even frightening, in ice.

A rear-drive rear-engined van should have better traction for drive (but perhaps not as good for steering) than an FWD gas car.