Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:49:26 -0500
From:         Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: engine efficiency, I4s, subies, etc
Comments: To: Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>

Myron

A diesel has compression ratioes in the neiborhood of 20 to 1 and a gasser seldom has more then 10 to 1. That puts a lot of stress on the engine. That's why they are less tolorant of higher revs. I've had na 1.5 and 1.6 vw diesels and they didn't have a lot of power to say the least even for golfs and rabbits. However both my past 96 passat tdi wagon and current 99.5 tdi jetta haves lotts of pep at a usable rpm. With my jetta, at 60 mph I turn around 2000 rpm's in 5th gear. I'm told these tdi's will do 145 mph! Highest I can confirm is 80 mph how ever as I don't need to go faster. I would think you would want around 3000 rpm's at the highest speed you would normally want to go, say 75 mph, and calculate from there. Like Frank, I would think the best would be a 1.9 TD IDI but don't know much about the gearing to comment on that. However I'm quite satisfied with my 84's 1.9 gasser's preformance.

Joe

----- Original Message ----- From: "Myron Lind" <mdlind@RICA.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 8:59 PM Subject: Re: engine efficiency, I4s, subies, etc