Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 18:05:19 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: What to buy?  Many "buying guide" questions
Comments: To: hbos@MDRCSF.ORG

Bos (San Francisco, CA) .............. Bos Wrote Is there any reason not to get an older Eurovan instead? (I've seen 93s and 94s that are not much more expensive than the newer Vanagons). Are there things to watch out for when looking at Eurovans? If you had $10k, would you rather buy an excellent Vanagon or a good Eurovan?

Stan Wilder wrote: Definitely go for the Eurovan type Westfalia conversion.(92 and up) Horse power is the key and keeping up with traffic can fry an Air-Cooled or throw a rod in A WaserBoxer. Newer is better. Nostalgia is for parked cars. After you've done your first few lengthy trips in your 92 or newer Eurovan you can pick up a splittie as a hobby car.

That is the way I'd do it with ten grand. Of course you always have options but you'll want to turn on your Air Conditioner without loosing 15 mph and that knocks out Air-Cooled. Travel should be a pleasure.............. Mountains are great places to camp but you gotta get there first.

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:47:23 -0800 Hans Bos <hbos@MDRCSF.ORG> writes: > Dear list members (and Vanagon experts), > > I have searched the archives for answers to these questions, but > only found topics concerned with the pros and cons of water vs. air. > So, here goes: > > I am thinking of replacing my too-large Toyota motorhome with a > Westfalia camper (after renting one in Hawaii and being very pleased > with the size and driveability). In addition to the motorhome I > currently own an old beetle convertible and I'm thinking of > replacing the beetle with some kind of Westfalia that I can actually > park in front of the house and use to get groceries as well as take > camping for weekends. The eternal question is what to buy? I could > spend some money on this project (not as much as a new Eurovan), but > of course I would try to spend as little as possible and still be > fairly comfortable. I am very flexible (i.e., I don't really know > what I want). > > Here are my questions: > > Aesthetically and emotionally, I think I would prefer a Bay Window > Type II (bus) instead of a Vanagon. What are the advantages of > getting an aircooled Vanagon instead? (I live in California, so I'm > assuming I can find a 70s Type II with a decent body.) Are Vanagons > considerably more comfortable or powerful than Type IIs? > > If I did decide to get a Vanagon, how would I go about finding one > that is technically sound? Do I need to be more careful with the > aircooled ones or with the water-cooled ones? Are there any shops > or used VW dealers in the Bay Area that specialize in Vanagons and > buses? > > Is there any reason not to get an older Eurovan instead? (I've seen > 93s and 94s that are not much more expensive than the newer > Vanagons). Are there things to watch out for when looking at > Eurovans? If you had $10k, would you rather buy an excellent > Vanagon or a good Eurovan? > > Thanks for your help. > > ns Bos (San Francisco, CA) > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.