Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 19:59:48 -0600
From:         Theresa Reinhardt <wordbridge@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Stuck in MD

Hi everybody - I need some advice - and please bear with me, I already feel incredibly stupid as is.

Just went to pick up the 82 Diesel Westy I bought in VA. About one hour into the trip back to IL, I was stopped by the police 'cause I had coolant dripping out the rear. Of course, I couldn't find anyone who knew what was going on. I even called the shop that was supposed to give it the "once-over" before I started out - they dind't think it was a problem (by that time, the cap on the expansion tank was missing...)

So I continued (yes, I know...) and was finally stopped by an overheated engine just outside Hancock, MD. Of course, it was closing time, Fri afternoon; I barely managed to have it towed to a shop's back lot. A friendly gentleman decided that the engine was leaking coolant (under the doodad that has the injection pumps in it), but no action was taken.

I found the only motel in town and am now nursing my anger... What do I do? The body, while a little scratched, dented and rusty in places, is as good as anything I've ever seen that was a lot younger, the inside has some grunge on it, but everything is original and supposed (!!!) to work... I am, however, not terribly inclined to throw a lot of good money after (potentially) bad... and I want a relia ble vehicle.

Here are what I think might be my options 1. Sell it here and as is; so anyone who is interested, my cell phone doesn't work in this blessed place, motel # is 301-678-6101 ext. 103. Make me an offer!

2. Find a knowledgeable shop, spend $$$ on towing and a new engine (?) If so, which one?

3. Go home, forget about it and never look at another car again other than my Honda...

Anyone have any advice, please?!

Down and out in MD, Teresa

[text/html]