Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Nov 2001 21:20:06 -0500
From:         Pat Dooley <pdooley@GTE.NET>
Subject:      Re: new to the list
Comments: To: Jim Henry <jch@JCHGIS.COM>

Just my personal experience: My Audi wouldn't shift into 2nd gear, went from 1st eventually to 3rd. Somebody told me about transx. I tried it, absolutely no difference. I adjusted the 2nd gear band and it worked for another year. Now its really dead. -----Original Message----- From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Jim Henry Sent: Friday, November 02, 2001 9:19 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Re: new to the list

jim, many years ago, a very wise man told me, " Son, you probably need to rebuild that transmission, but go over to Motor Bearings (friendly local flaps) and buy a can of TransX, a transmission filter, and enough fluid to change your fluid. If it doesn't work, the TransX folks will give your money back." I did and drove that transmission (early 70's chyrsler/amc) for 150k more miles, repeating the process every 30k miles. Cannot say I have direct VW experience with your problem, but I still follow the man's advise. Good luck, drive well.

Jim Henry Durham, NC 84 westy

Jim Morgan wrote:

I am new so please be kind. I have a 86 GL that I have recently purchased from a friend. Only 193k on it. now the automatic trans will not go into reverse when it is cold . Will go in all forward gears ok and reverse when warmed up. the bently is usless . I figure it is trans time but would like to know what is wrong before we do the transplant. Any info or prayers would be appreciated.

[text/html]