Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:35:38 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: What to buy?  Many "buying guide" questions

>Aesthetically and emotionally, I think I would prefer a Bay Window >Type II (bus) instead of a Vanagon.

The Vanagon is a minibus too. Personally, I prefer the looks of the T3 Type 2 (Vanagon), so long as it has South African grills, to the T2 Type 2 (Bay). But why not try to get a T1 Type 2 (Split) with sliding door? The T1 beats everthing else hands-down esthetically... a beautiful machine. The T1/2 is big but the T3 is even bigger (wider).

>What are the advantages of getting an aircooled Vanagon instead? (I >live in California, so I'm assuming I can find a 70s Type II with a >decent body.) Are Vanagons considerably more comfortable or >powerful than Type IIs?

T3s are less bare-bones than T2s or T1s, though a visit to an good upholstery shop could cure much of that. A good T2 can perform well if it's a 1.8 or 2.0... avoid the 1.6 like the plague (but the 1.6 T2 wasn't sold in North America). Aircooled T3s are known for sluggishness, even more so than watercooled T3s. Watercoolers sold in most of the world performed much better, with 115 or so hp, but the stock wateboxer is all too often unreliable.

>If I did decide to get a Vanagon, how would I go about finding one >that is technically sound?

Buy one fitted with a Subaru EG or EJ engine. Or buy a good (cheap) watercooler with dud engine and repower it. And join the subaruvanagon Yahoo Group too. you could Subaru a T1 or T2 too.

>Do I need to be more careful with the aircooled ones or with the >water-cooled ones?

The other way around...

>Are there any shops or used VW dealers in the Bay Area that >specialize in Vanagons and buses?

BenT will no doubt step in here, if not before.

T3!!! The T4 Type 2 ("Eurovan") is an FWD generic piece of ****. Too long for its cargo capacity, unreliable 5-cylinder engine, ugly, could be a Ford... also the rear-engined beast will handle better, in theory without the terminal understeer of the T4. This may however not matter to you, but in an accident-producing situation the T4 could kill you by understeering into an obstruction or over that cliff...

-- Andrew Grebneff 165 EvansSt, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Ph: 0064 (3) 473-8863 fax: 0064 (3) 479-7527 1986 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX CE80 diesel sedan 1989 Toyota Corolla 1.8DX CE96 diesel van 1989 Toyota Corona 2.0D Select CT170 diesel sedan 1992 Toyota Estima Lucida 2.2 turbodiesel MPV (=narrow "Previa") 1984 VW Caravelle GL (to be fitted with 260hp Subaru SVX flat-6 & Porsche G50 trans) Seashell, Macintosh, VW & Toyota van nut