Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Nov 2001 17:54:30 -0500
From:         Greg Marshall <earthboy@HOME.COM>
Subject:      high idle problem

Hello folks,

First of all, thanks to all who offered tips on replacing my valve gasket covers. The process went smoothly and I no longer have oil leaking out onto my heater boxes, and consequently, my van doesn't smell like burning oil when I'm driving anymore. Anyhow, the latest problem is a rather high idle when I stop at lights, stop signs and so on. This problem just started a couple weeks ago. The van is an 82 aircooled california model van. Recently, I changed the exhaust system over from the rotted out california setup to a setup with federal (49 state) heater boxes and a bugpack header system. With this system, I removed the O2 sensor and the Cat, because I just couldn't work them into the new setup. The van is running very well, has lots of power, and my mileage has only dropped a bit, about 19 mpg city. I have recently cleaned up all the grounds, fixed the vacum leaks, and replaced a few other corroded connection in the engine bay. One other thing to add is that the van has no Idle stabalizer like the bentley says it should. It doesn't even have The two black plugs for the idle stabalizer. However, there is a screw hole beside the hall sender unit where I think the idle stabalizer used to be. It appears that the previous owner has removed the idle stabalizer, and plugs, and connected the wires directly. I can see some wires with modern looking connectors attaching them together over near the hall sender. I'm new to being an aircooled mechanic, but I'm learning fast, and I'm hoping I can figure out this idle problem on my own.

Any suggestions of what to check, or if i should do anything about the lack of 02 sensor and idle stabalizer? Will putting these back in somehow make the van run better?

Thanks a bunch. This list is the best.

Greg.