Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:59:55 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: engine efficiency, I4s, subies, etc

>Hi Andrew. About the only diesels here in the US are the VW. In >the large pickup trucks is the next series, a bit larger than I >want for a vanagon. 7.0 Liter or so. How do I find a G50 in >Germany?

Shame... virtually every Japanese vehicle, apart fromcoupes, sporties, Hondas and Subarus (and Toyota Celsior=Lexus LS series) is available as a diesel (NOT a good thing if it's not a Toyota!). Most of these are brought in as used imports from Japan, which by far outsell new cars!

G50? Here's what I passed on to another inquirer:

Marty Schneider (MSDS) <info@msdsinc.com> or <MDM810@aol.com> makes an installation kit for the G50 trans, which he normally sells only as part of his complete 911-conversion kit. He did say he'd sell me a trans-only part, but then every time I tried to actually order one, he put me off: "Not enough stock just now. I have to consider my full-kit customers first; try again in a few months".

His kit includes a CNC-milled mounting block adaptor to fit the 911 shifter into the VW floor; rod adaptors etc, and front trans mount. His prices are frightening, but for the alternative of getting it done from scratch you may pay just as much, and the cobbled-together item may not work well at all.

I intend to fit Porsche 993 ventilated drilled brakes at both ends, using Hansen Motorsport (Germany) kit. This will require 17" wheels, in place of the near-new Mercedes CLK 16" alloys with 205/55/16 Continentals I brought in from the States recently... know anyone who wants CLK wheels?? (NOT cheap, but I'm not asking the $4000 they're worth).

My used trans came from Sportswagenservice Jacobi, a small Porsche wrecker in Hamminkeln, in the NW corner of Germany, near Dutch border. It was a lot of dicking around; unbelievably, it took over a year to get organized. I am just hoping the thing actually arrives! Contact Martin Jacubowski (his boss Peter Jacobi prefers to leave sales to Martin) at <jacobi@911-parts.de>, or at home <M.Jakubowski@apo-edv.de>. Tell him I sent you.

Breakdown of my parts: 1989 G50 LSD short-bellhousing trans with slave cylinder & release arm complete, price DM2700 G50 starter DM280 G50 clutch, good used DM1100 G50 gearshift complete system DM450 steel Vanagon engine lid DM100 Konis new set DM750 Handling DM150 (shipping to NZ not included) VAT 16%, refundable on arrival; return shipping documents to Jacobi (odd, but it appears this is how it works buying from Germany). Jacobi does not take creditcards; they want telegraphic transfer. They sent master cylinder instead of slave...

Call your bank for latest exchange rates.

Another option is Van Zweeden in Holland; contact Melanie at <rob@v-zweeden.com>. Trans price similar to Jacobi's, but didn't have the other bits at the time, or just didn't reply. And I bet they woldn't send an LSD unit at that price!

Re CV joints & rear axles: MSDS' kit includes Sway-A-Way adaptor axles and Weddle 28-tooth 930-pattern stubaxles. Or buy axles & stubs direct from Weddle; prices start at $549US, depending on axle length etc. Contact Chris Weddle at <info@2weddle.com>. Specify Vanagon axles, or you'll get Bug units!

G50 PARTS -trans, 1978-1989 -slave cylinder -release mechanism -clutch -gearshift mechanism complete -starter optional (ask KEP) NEW 911 PARTS -4 x 930 CV joints complete KEP -flywheel -adaptor plate (X - VW/Porsche) MSDS -trans-fitting kit OR -Weddle Vanagon/930 stubaxles -Weddle or Sway-A-Way 28-tooth 930 adaptor axles -manufacture front trans mount -manufacture shifter adaptor OTHER -fabricate exhaust -fabricate engine crossmember/mounts -engine electrics (I suggest a Link computer) -convert tacho to read six-cylinder if fitting a six -connect alternator, power steering, aircon HAVE I FORGOTTEN ANYTHING?

Here assuming no catalytic converter or other smog gear needed; mine will have none. Get it all done nicely and you'll have the best van in the world... apart from a hotted-up Toyota Hiace Super Custom!

Regards Andrew