Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 3 Nov 2001 15:42:01 -0900
From:         Michael Moery <mikemoery@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: can vanagon run w/out alternator?

Vanagons, like most all modern vehicles, need electricity to run. When the alternator quits, the engine will run off the battery for quite a while, as long as all the accessories are off, especially the headlights. While it takes just a small current to power the ignition system, the starter is another matter, as you discovered. It takes a lot of amperage to start. Diesels, on the other hand need only enough power to energize the fuel solenoid, so they can run without an alternator for a very long time. Same problem with starting though.

Mike Moery, Anchorage, AK         ----------------        ||E[__] [__]|[_]\\        | =======| -   ||   * * *  =( o )--------( o )= =='Ol Bessie '82TD Westy