Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:30:38 EST
From:         Frank Grunthaner <FrankGRUN@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Down and out in MD; now: Back in IL
Comments: To: wordbridge@home.com

I haven't followed the details of the problem but from a quick read, I surmise that

1. PO did some work on engine, possibly removing head. 2. No initial leaks 3. Leaks from the interface of block to head of coolant.

Based on these marginal suppositions, I would just suggest a possible lower cost solution. A common practice of many non-VW shops is to reuse the head bolts and retorque them. Another practice is to bolt the head down hard before beginning the torquing sequence. In my experience, all diesel heads are warped (usually center high). The head bolts are actually torqued right up to the yield and stretch point. Reusing the old head bolts now puts them well into the yield part of the curve and they relax or release with subsequent heating. (Yes, I know many backyard mechanics reuse the head bolts and never have a problem, but I have been assured that pigs fly also). When replacing depressingly bowed heads in the past, I carefully followed the torquing instructions with new head bolts. Fired the engine up to operating temperature then retorqued (often added half a turn) then drove the car for about 30 minutes, retorqued and finally a third time. With one VW rabbit block I retorqued 5 times before I had no more bolt rotation. I recall I asked an old diesel mechanic (while working on my Peugeot diesel) how many times should I repeat the retorquing cycle ... he replied with exasperation ... as long as it takes! Well, what if I don't? and he replied "head gasket leak sooner than later".

Anyway, the head is astonishingly flexible. The proper torquing spreads it so gasket compliance takes over.

Just a thought, value limited to transference costs.

Frank Grunthaner