Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 4 Nov 2001 18:53:04 -0700
From:         Gnarlodious <Gnarlodious@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Diesel Caveat:  Case in point!
Comments: To: Mary Beth and Chris Geiser <geiser@EXECPC.COM>

> Not necessarily an altitude thing either.... Once the compression gets > borderline, they start pretty hard even if the glow plugs work. You notice > it first toward the end of fall / beginning of winter. Then when the real > cold hits, there you sit unless you brought your long extension cord for the > block heater (BTDT). > Chris

I was explaining to someone off-list, the compression is less and the blowby is more. The oil ends up in your air filter further reducing compression.

As a matter of fact, I am going to post this on the list for those who may be concerned:

> I'm p-mailing so I don't look stupid on the list... :^) Why not? everyone else does! > > Surely they don't sell different versions of diesel engines in different > states. No, they are the same. > So does this mean that an older, worn diesel will run at sea level, > but may not in the mountains? Yes, that is what it means. For a short trip it is not such a problem, but to expect a worn out diesel to perform the same all winter is too much. > Do you do a standard compression test before a mountain trip to verify > you'll make it? If you are driving over a pass you'll make it. The problem is cold starts at that high altitude. If you have an old engine, don't let it get completely cold before restarting it. > And are there ways other than a rebuild to gain high altitude capability? Yes. 1: Park on a long hill. You can go for years this way! 2: If your engine is really worn out, run without the air filter. This will give you more compression and prevent oil blowout from clogging it, which is the big problem even in summer. (noisier though!) 3: Give it a shot of ether prior to cranking, this is a pain in the ass in the Vanagon and not very safe for the engine. But what the hell, it is worn out anyway! 4: Preheat with a block heater. You must have a plug-in. See http://home.earthlink.net/~gnarlodious/Vanagon_Notes.html#preheater 5: Yours truly has even been known to put a can of sterno under the oil pan for an hour or so in really frigid weather, you can do this to diesel. Especially the Vanagon, it has the aluminum pan.

With this toolbox of tricks you can buy a "needs rebuild" diesel CHEAP and drive it for 2 years before it really needs it. ('Course you might have to bore 40 over by that time!)

Rachel http://www.gnarlodious.com