Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:09:03 -0800
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Synthetic Tranny Oil?

Another choice is the Amsoil gear oil, they have a series 3000 synthetic which is rated GL1-5 and MT-1, which I've had in my '88 Westy for a year now. I'd say it feels about the same as Redline. I've had Redline MTL in my Jetta for about 5-6 years now, so it is also an excellent choice. My Jetta now has 455k km on trans - it has never been apart, and still shifts very smoothly, although has a bit of bearing noise at idle in N.

Just thought I'd mention the Amsoil in case you have trouble finding Redline - both are around the same price.

======================== Shawn Wright Computer Systems Manager Shawnigan Lake School http://www.sls.bc.ca swright@sls.bc.ca