Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:45:36 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Trilogy of the trip to libby montana "conclusion"

So here I am coasting into Joe’s Auto Kare in Port Orford. I was going nowhere unless I charged the battery for a run further down the coast or get a new alternator. With my options somewhat limited, I wonder if there was some way I could hide those darn California plates on the vanagon. In Oregon the states unofficial motto is “don’t californicate Oregon”. I approached Joe and inquired if he might be able to install a new alternator? He was positive about the job but unsure of getting parts. After doing some checking he quickly determined a bad rear alternator bearing. Port Orford is a two gas station town. Bigger then some and even a parts store across the street from Joe’s. But the bosch replacements from across the street was too rich for Joe’s and was no more available than the Napa rebuild that would be 30 minutes south and 24 hours later after overnight shipping. Looks like we were spending the night in Port Orford. It goes without explanation that the cat would take this news better than the other passenger. THIS WAS AN UNPLANNED STOP. If you have to be stuck anywhere, Port Orford is not such a bad place. When your wife sends you out to find the motel in town go for the high ground. I swear to god that the only reason I went for the low ground was that the high ground was uphill and I did not think we would want to carry all our stuff, the cat and of course the cat box up that hill despite that fact that it had a great vista of the Oregon coast. This time of the year is a slow time at Port Orford. It was raining so in between outburst we went shopping and looked over the selection of diners. The pizza place at Joe’s side of town is a good choice if you are not in a hurry “we weren’t”. The diner downtown makes a good breakfast and Fish place looked good but was too far to go in the rainstorm when walking. By noon the next day Joe had returned from “Gold Beach” with the part. I was not really troubled by my alternator having to be shipped by way of “Gold Beach”. I was grateful that Joe had driven to get the part. By 2pm the new alternator was either charging at 15 volts or not at all. It appeared that some dash related problem was not limiting the charge. I left Joe to the problem as I could see my looking over his shoulder was not making his job any easier. By now we had walked the town enough times that we began to recognize and be recognized by some of the locals and the local’s pets. Port Orford is a great dog town. The beach is a dog friendly beach. After returning to our motel we learned that our van was ready and we were sadly leaving Port Orford by 4 pm. Joe’s work was good and the van worked better than before as now the previous unworking battery light worked as well as the alternator. His price was considerably less than what I would have paid in California and his quality of work proved itself as we drove all night and into the morning with lights blazing to get home. Thank you Oregon and thank you Joe a truly honest mechanic who I would recommend to any vanagon owner. Gary