Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:18:38 -0800
From:         Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Trilogy of the trip to libby montana "conclusion"
Comments: To: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>

well, i have a similar story, involving oregonians, oregonian auto repairmen, and bosch alternators.

on our trip this summer we had the pleasure of driving to portland, with the lovely home of tom and margo salicos at the end of that day's drive. we'd not met them, but tom had graciously offered us overnight "camping" space and hot showers so we could avail ourselves of portland's pleasures. what resulted from that offer was a wonderful friendship and some further good times involving hot springs and woodfire-cooked food. they're great people, and lots of fun.

on the way to portland, coming from cave junction by way of crater lake and some odd forest road "shortcut" given to me by a lady at the steamboat resort that added more than two hours to our travel time, the van's alternator and ox lights came on. this was just outside of eugene. after consulting bentley i decided it was that the alternator wasn't charging properly, because the lights would go off above 1500 rpm. so we drove onwards, to our meeting with tom and margo. they fed and watered us and made us feel more than at home, which was a greatful relief after such a trying day (remember, all this took place with a 3.5 year old lad unhappy on the third day of our trip).

the next day we took in portland's zoo and some of downtown, and when we got back tom and i talked about the problem i had. he gave me his repairman's number, nick at m&m automotive in hillsborough (i still have to post a note complete with his address and phone; that's at home). i called nick the next morning (after the night of the exploding diaper) and we got there about 2pm.

nick was just leaving, so his son (whose name i cannot remember...peter? paul?) took a look. diagnosed bad brushes, and $50 to replace, parts and labor. he started the work, and one of the brushes got lost/stuck inside the alternator housing. so, he decided to take off the alternator and fish around, which he did, and got the brush out. by this time nick had come back, and they started to put the alternator back on...at which point nick realized the rear cup bushing on the alternator was shot, and that they should not put it back in the van. he quoted me a $200 price for a new alternator, and called his parts guy immediately...that they needed it RIGHT NOW.

i was lamenting to him that a new alternator was a hell of a sad way to spend $200 on the fifth day of a three week vacation, when his son remembered they probably had the right alternator in a parts vanagon out on the lot. they pulled it and it was a match, though not the exact part number (a bosch 90A with the right pulley length, though). they put the new brushes on this alternator and got the new one installed. they had to use the 2wd alternator bracket, though, as the "new" alternator wouldn't accept the syncro's (upper) bracket; the mount for the adjusting screw is too thick, so we needed the thinner bracket. they got this on, and i asked him what the cost would be. nick says "$50", and i just about hugged him. i was signing off on the paperwork when the parts guy walked in with the new alternator...nick winked at me and kindly told him he'd have to take it back with him.

i highly, highly, highly recommend m&m automotive in hillsborough, or (just west of portland). and tom and margo (and kevin and *stamper,stamper*) salicos in beaverton are also very, very fine.

AND, nick gave me a tip to a great camping place in the coast ranges...spruce run county park, just outside of elsie on highway 26. great river (the nehelem), somewhat crowded, but beautiful.

bill '87 syncro westfalia