Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2001 03:30:45 -0500
From:         Todd Last <rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>
Subject:      Re: need help with power window problem
Comments: To: most@UCLA.EDU

Sounds like one of the guides at the corners of the regulator may have snapped off, allowing the cable to go slack and drop the window. To check, take your door panel off and look at the regulator and cables.

Don't run the window motor as this will kink and jam the cable in the motor housing.

It could also be that the bolts holding the window to the riser have fallen out. (not likely).

Todd '88 Westy

"MOST,DAVID" <most@UCLA.EDU> wrote: > I've removed and installed power window motors and regulators, but I'm notsure what's causing the current problem. I started to drive earlier today, powered the window down about two inches, and all of a sudden, the window glass dropped all the way the bottom. Pressing the switch would not bring the window back up, though the motor still makes noise. After removing the door panel, I was able to lift the glass manually (it moves quite freely now by hand) up the point where I had moved it down before it dropped. Then, I powered the switch in the up position until the motor made the sound of having reached the top. I could then move the window glass easily up to the top, but of course, it won't stay up by itself.

So, I suspect that something has gone awry with the regulator. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this symptom (I've had parts snap, but that caused other symptoms), and if so, whether or not it was repairable. Does it sound like I need a new regulator? I have a spare motor, but given the freely moving window and the apparent functioning of the motor, I'm guessing this isn't the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

David '87 westfalia