Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2001 10:04:51 -0800
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 8

Well, here is another installment in my ongoing story. When we last heard from out hero, we were deciding whether to mate the old Vanagon head to the not-so-old Dasher block. Well, I finally decided that the old Dasher head was good enough to put back on its old block, so that's the direction we headed in...

After a wait of a few days, German Auto Salvage in Berkeley (510-525-6000, ask for Joe--he's the diesel guy) came up with all of the parts I needed for the rebuild of the Dasher motor. Their prices seemed to match the prices I've found around on the Internet, maybe a little higher. I decided to go with COFAP rings after some consultation with people on this list and elsewhere.

To prepare the block, I had new intermediate shaft bearings pressed in (theold ones were damaged by yours truly). I bought a can of engine degreaser and and went to a carwash. I really hosed it out good, and then after I was done, fogged the cylinders with WD-40 to keep them from rusting. It is very satisfying to flush gunk out of the water and oil passages. I did the same with the head. CAMS RUST EASILY, so be generous with WD-40 and or engine oil after you are done.

The actual engine build took only an hour or two. We put in the new main bearings, oiled them, and torqued them down with plasti-guage to see what the clearance was. It was right on. We put in the pistons, with no need to file the rings. By the way, when we finally put the crank in with assembly lube and hadn't connected the connecting rods, it turned over like oiled glass. Truly wonderful. There is this big huge hunk of iron and it spins silently and effortlessly on this film of oil that is like .002 inches think. Very cool.

We torqued down the head after we got #1 piston to Top Dead Center and got the slot on the back of the cam locked in position. We are waiting to do the first bolt stretch until the engine is in the van.

I went to ACE hardware and bought sawhorse brackets, and built a sawhorse out of 2 x 4 wood. It fits in the back of the van, straddling the engine cover. My plan is to hang the chain hoist from this derrick, and do the engine lowering and lifting with it. I am pretty proud of myself. I also layed a 2 x 4 across the engine hatch, and I will hang a strap from it, wrap it around the transmission, and pull it up tight. This will support the transmission while it has no engine to hold on to. Since I plan to do this without jackstands or ramps, I have measured the ground clearance in the back, and there is enough to slide the engine out (in) on its side on a piece of carpet without any pumps or alternators attached. I will do that stuff on the engines while they are in place.

Also, I have been haunting a few of the junkyards, and have picked up oil pressure, voltmeter, and clocks gauges from Jettas and Porsches. There is also an '82 westy (very bare and stripped out) that I pulled the center dash/console off of to experiment with gauge placement. It looks like there is space just below the radio for two or three 2" VDO gauges to go in a line. They would look stock in that position, though they won't be right in my face.

I have also gotten (for free!!--the guys at the yard always pity me) a few oil pressure sending units that will run the gauge and the idiot light. I have gotten advice from concerned people on the list that I should use a new sending unit, so I'm torn.

Anyway, that's all for now. I plan to pull the engine and maybe put in the new one this weekend, if SWMBO sees fit to dispense mercy upon me and releases me from kid duties for a few hours.

http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/snow/vanagon/vanagon.html

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter