Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:19:48 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: tranny rebuild: AA Vs. Rancho Performance
Comments: cc: poll7356@UIDAHO.EDU

> I was just checking out a clutch kit on Busdepot.com and came across this: > > We offer rebuilt transaxles from Rancho Performance, one of the industry > leaders. These affordably priced rebuilds carry a 12 month/12,000 mile > factory warranty. Transaxle, Rebuilt, Rancho Performance, Syncro, excl > transfer case, Exchange (you send your unit to be rebuilt) $999.95.

> What does excl transfer case mean??? seriously...do they just send the > trans without the Low/Rev assy and front output shaft???

Of course I cannot comment on AA (except to say that Daryl's reputation is quite good). But with regard to Rancho, I can say that have been dealing with them for several years and have had nothing but good experience with their work and their professionalism. I have yet to receive a single warranty claim. They have been very honest with core deposits (as compared to some less-scrupulous rebuilders, who somehow manage to find something wrong with every core so they do not have to refund all of your deposit). In two cases where a transmission reached a customer with signs of shipping damage, they replaced it first and asked questions later.

In the case of the non-Syncro trans, you can either send yours in to be rebuilt (for $879.95 plus shipping), or buy one up front for the same price plus a $475 core deposit which is refunded upon return of your rebuildable trans. But in the case of a Syncro trans, they rarely have good cores to rebuild, so generally you must send yours in first. (Even when they do have a good core to rebuild, they charge a $1000 core deposit because they are so hard to come by!) The price of $999 plus shipping includes rebuilding the trans itself but not the transfer case section. However, it does include the cost of disassembling, cleaning, inspecting, and resealing the transfer case and output shaft, so that they can inspect it for wear or damage. If close inspection determines that the internals of the transfer case do need to be rebuilt, they quote on that separately based on what needs to be done, as it is not included in the $999 price. However, if the majority of the wear is in the transaxle section itself, it's $999. I can recall one instance where they did contact the customer regarding the transfer case, and several where they determined that the $999 rebuild was all the customers needed (and indeed the customers have not reported further problems).

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders Only: 1-866-BUS-DEPOT