Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2001 17:59:24 -0500
From:         Maynard Southard <echomhs@GIS.NET>
Subject:      On the Road home and need help getting there!

Volks:

This is not as bad as Theresa's story (although the Reinhardt name has got me worried!)

Ok, I picked up my newly acquired Diesel Double Cab in San Antonio on Saturday (I have really gone way over the Vanagon Nut edge - 3 different Vanagon Diesels?) I have made it to Nashville today (Tuesday) on my way back to New England (1100 more miles). Gotta be there by Friday evening for my son's football game. I'm making good time, travelling an average of 58 mph. The 1.6L NA is doing fine (of course, I haven't hit the mountains in VA yet.)

I spent all day Sunday in TX checking the vehicle over for the trip. I found the brake fluid reservoir was low. Brakes and clutch felt fine. I added DOT 4 to a level between the indicated min and max. Everything's ok ... so I left yesterday (Monday).

About 100 miles ago (I've traveled 900 by this point), I pull into an Exxon to fill up (first two tanks full have gotten me 30+ mpg!) I coast to a stop with the clutch in and then just as I apply the brakes for the final stop (clutch still in) it feels like the clutch engages as I hit the brakes (clutch grab). I don't think much of it. Fill up and ready to go.

I start up and push in the clutch to get into first. The pedal seems pretty easy to push (more than I remember) and then the clutch seems to release very quickly as I pull out. I then have a small amount of difficulty getting into second gear, but no trouble with 3rd or 4th and I am on my way.

Next stop (20 miles ago) I pay closer attention and it seems the clutch is not completely disengaging as I shift in reverse, first or second. I pulled off the instrument cover and the brake fluid reservoir seems to be at the right level. I'm a little worried, as tomorrow I will hit the smokies and blue ridge mountains of I-40 and I-81.

Question: does it sound like my clutch slave cylinder needs to be bled? If so, must I have a partner to do this? What steps do I take (is it like the pedal pushing brake bleed)? Or does it mean that my slave cylinder is bad? I've checked for leaks, but see no evidence. The brakes are still good. Is it possible the clutch is the problem (no slipping noticed)?

Any helpful advice will be appreciated. I have a hotel room for the night and some dark hours to contemplate. Thanks.

Maynard Southard (OvO) '79 '86 Diesel Double Cab "Col. Potter" '82 Westy Diesel "Reinhardt" '82 Vanagon GL Diesel "Sluggo" '93 EV GL "Klinger" '00 Golf GLS TDI "WooHoo" '84 Jetta GL TD "Donor"