Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:42:48 -0700
From:         John Silverman <jsilver@AROS.NET>
Subject:      Trip report (Lake Tahoe/Napa Valley) Tiico issues  (long)
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

Well, back safe and sound from a wonderful vacation wining and dining, cycling, and exploring the aforementioned parts of California.

The van (90 syncro westy) had just finished it's 600 mile break in period from it's BRAND NEW Tiico engine (I4, 2 litre) installed locally by a mechanic. Also, had new OME shocks and Syncro springs a la Schwenk. What great improvements!!!!

We left Salt Lake City Friday AM (the 26th) after I got home from a midnight shift, The wife drove. She'd been skeptical about the Tiico, especially the cost. She noticed and appreciated the power increase-ie not subtle increases. She didn't love the rough idle and increased vibration and noise. Got to Reno about 7.5 hrs later, in time for a buffet dinner, then headed on to Tahoe area that eve. Drove up via 395 (near Carson City, and Mt Rose) a steep pass. The Tiico had good power, and could even accelerate uphill, when downshifted appropriately.

Noticed some fan belt noise, so the next day, after a beautiful and windy run/hike up Mt Rose, looked at the belts. The alternator belt was loose. Not only, but the bolt holding the (new) alternator bracket to the engine had come loose. Off to the local True Value, replacement bolts, and away we go.

Next AM, no start. Lights, radio all work, but not enough juice for the starter. Jump start from friendly passerby, and a beautiful bike ride from Meeks Bay (west shore) to Falling Leaf Lake (almost South Lake Tahoe). No further probs that day. But per the wife--off to the nearest Wal Mart that eve for a battery check. Down towards the Napa, via rt 50, a beautiful, very long descent out of the mts. Stop in Folsom at the closest Wal Mart. Battery checks out OK, alternator loose again! This time, it's the lower alternator bolt, and of course, at 7PM on Sunday, no place to get one. Dinner, WalMart parking lot campground. Next AM, to the local Kragen, where the manager is ever so helpful in finding the closest to correct size bolt, and checking the alternator again. Still not great charging. One of the "field grounds" (whatever that is- it's a blue loose wire that plugs into back of the alternator) was loose. new connector, and we're running gangbusters.

So off to Napa Valley. five days of beautiful scenery, amazing food and drink, great bike riding, and stealth camping all over the valley. What a beautiful and fun (though costly) area. Felt very European. No van troubles whatsoever.

Friday eve, back to Tahoe via 80, and camping just uphill from Northstar. Another day to explore Tahoe and end up in Reno that night. Again, a little fan belt whine. Now, The alternator bracket itself had begun to fail. Figured we'd make it as far as we could that eve. and drove through the empty desert to Winemucca, Nevada. Checked the bracket, and it had busted completely through, right at the adjusting nut. All the "on-call" mechanics wanted to charge big bucks for a call out service. There were a bunch of kids in the truck stop parking lot, hangin out around all their older cars and trucks. Obviously, some of these kids could weld!! Well, they were excited for something to do, so one of them went home, brought the truck w/ the portable welder, and the part was good as new!! Made it back to Salt Lake the next AM w/ no troubles, and the welded area looks great.

Interesting aside: while stopped at that truck stop, a full size diesel pickup came through, towing a vanagon. Turns out the fellow had bought an older (I think he said 84) vanagon w/ only 33k on the clock, in Chicago. He was moving to Santa Cruz. He's a mechanic, and was about to do an I4 swap into a different van, but found this van instead.

All in all, a great trip. Other than the alternator episodes, a wonderful improvement in speed and power. And the suspension upgrades were also well worth it!! John SLC 90 syncro westy, Tiico powered