Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:15:42 EST
From:         Rico Sapolich <JKrevnov@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: winter tire thoughts
Comments: To: gwilke@livemusic.org

In a message dated 11/6/01 10:42:28 PM, gwilke@LIVEMUSIC.ORG writes:

<< Yokohama said that they are making the 356 but they don't

recommend them for snow. >>

Geoff,

It has been my experience that they should tell you that they are absolutely useless in snow.

It has recently been pointed out to me that I am a one of vanishing breed because I still switch to dedicated snow tires. But, then again, my feet stay dry through most of what Mother Nature brews up each winter. I greeted my first winter in the driver's seat of a 2WD Vanagon shod with Yoko 356's. All it took was one snowfall before I was franticly searching out a pair of Hakkapeliita 10's. Mounting the Hakka's with a100# bag of sand hovering over each rear wheel solved that problem.

From my experience, I can make two endorsements: 1/ Nokia Hakkapelitta C2's. These replace the Hakka 10's which are no longer made. I ran a set on a Syncro last winter and I noticed no difference. Previously, I ran the Hakka 10's year round for more than 2 ye ars and they performed well the whole time.

2/ For years I used Vredestein Snow++'s on Volvo's only switching to Hakka's when the Vredesteins were no longer readily available. The two seemed to perform the same in snow, but I preferred the Vredesteins because they were a little quieter on dry pavement. If a ready source for the Vredesteins comes up, I have enough confidence in the product that I will use them again.

Rich