Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:12:15 -0600
From:         andrewbell <andrewbell@QWEST.NET>
Subject:      How much longer?

I hope this isn't too long. Please read and respond if you have the time.

I've been wrestling with the concept of selling and replacing my Vanagon. I know, what the hell I I thinking? I'm thinking about two points:

1. My '83.5 Van is aging. It is not nickel and diming me, but needs more than periodic maintenance, that I gladly give it because I have this weird bond to it. I enjoy working on this problems that arise to achieve my vision of total Vanagon perfection which is a stock Van with some minor updates. Pics of the Van in question are here: http://www.bellfamilytree.org/vw

This point boils down to cash. I have about three grand invested in the Van, and it has 176,000 miles on a stock 1.9. To obtain my idea of Vanagon Zen, I would need a I4 conversion ($4,000), some minor body rust repair ($1000) and a few interior repairs and updates ($500). Give or take 10% either way for savings or nightmares. So in the end I may have about $9000 into a great vehicle that can run for perhaps another 5 years?

2. I own a small business that could totally write off a new vehicle for me, perhaps a '0? EuroVan? Yes, they cost ~$30000 for a new Van, but nothing else for 10 years - theoretically.

One would benefit from the dependability and performance of a new Van with a V6, or whatever, not to mention the safety features of ABS and airbag protection. One would also see depreciation, but also no previous ownership that didn't do things right the first time.

I'm not necessarily torn between the two, but am questioning investing today in a Van of yesteryear. I won't say that the EuroVan idea is super practical or thrifty, but neither is the maintenance of my beloved Vanagon. If I did get one, I would probably have it for the next 10 years, so I would definitely have quality time with it ... or will VW bag it, too, in favor of the new Micro bus? And if so, isn't' that a good five years away?

You know the ins and outs of Vanagons better than anyone. More so than VW, even. I'm not saying I'm going to bag the Vanagon, but I'm questioning my faith in being able to provide for it in a manner that would benefit the vehicle and my family. Have there been any other mis-musings mentioned before? Anyone out there have a EuroVan? A new one? Can anyone forward this to the EuroVan list for me, or send me their address?

Thanks in advance -

AB