Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:19:51 +0000
From:         "James T." <jboldway@INTCON.NET>
Subject:      tyres

Due to stupidity (mine), I am able to give a tyre report. Missed seeing one of those 6'x8"x8" parking "curbs" in the parking lot of the local store. Square corner of parking curb slid up sidewall of tyre and put a nice dent in one of the rim halves. So, I have a pair of Agelis 61s on order. My 85 Westy had Agelis 61s in the rear and MTX or whatever the older popular michelin was. Had a pair of Veredestein transport studded snows that I picked up mounted on vanagon rims in Seattle for a foolishly low price - like new, 1800 LB at 50psi 185 R14Cs. Put the Ageliss up front and the vredesteins in the back - will reinstall new agelis in rear when the arrive and will go back to studdeds in like January. Notes on new tyre combo (with KBY shocks new last year). I really like the vredesteins. super stiff sidewall - no rear fishtailing at all. A little more vertical "bump" when going over speed bumps, but otherwise great. Agelis in front versus older michelisn - older michelins were more forgiving in all directions. Agelis seems to let me know I've got a part or two loose in my steering gear. But, at the same time, the agelis seem to turn easier and track just as well. So, the main things I've noticed after purchasing the van - replacing the original Sachs shocks with KBY made the best improvement, replacing the michelin MTX rear tyres with Agelis 61s made the next biggest improvement as the rear end used to fishtail with the old MTXs. I keep front at 48 PSI and rear at 50 PSI. Old Michelin MTX had tons of tread left, but when i purchased teh van I had numerous sidewall cracks near the rim. Not sure if underinflation or just old age. Was a little scared, that's why I replaced the rear michelins. Noticed that the MTXs were made in France while the Agelis 61s are made in Italy. Note on Agelis 61s - if you try to order these through the computer systems in stores like NTB, Parts Depot, tire express, etc. you will get "out of stock." You need to have the salesman physically call the warehouse or michelin - and he will be told "these tires are for emergency release only for Westy vanagons - no other uses are permitted." Worries me - sounds like stock is getting low. Was told there was a vanagon westy in a salvage yard near me. I'm going to check out the tyres and pick up a pair if I can get them cheap. Sounds like time to stock up. Anybody need any funky vanagon/westy parts? Not sure what year westy in junkyard is - I'll check it out on Saturday and report back. Westy vanagons aren't worth much here in Kansas.

--------------------------------------------- This message was sent using Endymion MailMan. http://www.endymion.com/products/mailman/