Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Nov 2001 12:45:19 -0800
From:         Paul Mayfield <paulmayfield@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: autotrans cons....

I've owned a 87 syncro westy and stupidly sold it. Replaced it with a perfect 87 westy with auto. I have to say that the auto is VAstLY more enjoyable to drive than the manual trans. It doesn't hunt back and forth from 2nd to 3rd. Just stick it in 2nd on hills when speed drops to low for 3rd.

I also prefer the way the 2WD drives vs. the Syncro. Much lighter steering. AND, the auto westy is faster than the Syncro westy up hills.

But I do miss the Syncrotraction on the snow. The locker is awesome. My Land Cruiser has much less traction!

At 108K, runs great and no manual tranny/clutch probs to worry about.

The other option that I couldn't live without is central locking.

Paul Mayfield '87 Westy Palo Alto, CA