Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 10 Nov 2001 09:21:01 -0800
From:         Steve Hoge <steve_syncro@TECHIE.COM>
Subject:      TIICO break-in period
Comments: To: Will Pierson <billyfeet@surfree.com>,
          Barry Logan <blogan@chipotle.org>,
          Ryan Alfonso <cyranoleo@yahoo.com>, David Kelly <dkcomet@yahoo.com>,
          Rob McDonald <grimus1969@yahoo.com>,
          Gary Stearns <gstearns@optonline.net>,
          Jon Munns <idworkshop@home.com>, John Buchta <jabuchta@hsonline.net>,
          James Bennet <james_001@msn.com>,
          John Andrew <john_andrew@hotmail.com>,
          Marty Guinn <meguinn@hotmail.com>, "Sean B." <vgonman@earthlink.net>,
          Dan Winget <wdwinget@cs.com>

Many thanks to my fellow TIICOnauts who generously shared advice about the right break-in regime for my new engine. As you might imagine, the opinions were pretty diverse! (e.g., "go easy", "run it normally", "wind it out", etc.) One common thread that did emerge was the need to vary the engine speed and not to stick too long at one RPM. Since the power band is now so much wider than it used to be, this hasn't been so hard, since there's alot of highway driving around here that I can do in either 3rd or 4th gear.

I'm up to about 700 miles now, and I'll probably start easing into less artificial driving patterns. And now that I've gotten my cruise control reinstalled I'm looking forward to using it more regularly, especially on our upcoming Thanksgiving Syncro Safari to Baja!

-Steve '89 Syncro GL