Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:26:58 -0600
From:         Joel Walker <jwalker17@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dramatically Improving AC capacity

> I haven't done this yet but would like to...How about painting the roof > white to reflect the sun's heat? Seen this on lots of serious desert > vehicles. I think it's called a safari top.

in my own experience, this makes a world of difference in the inside temps. i had a white 86 bus and it was noticeably cooler inside, during alabama summers, than even my light blue 88 bus. but it might look a bit odd to have a white top on some of the later colors. ;)

if you'll remember, vw sold all the buses in the u.s. with white tops from 1968 to about 1977 .. except for pickup trucks and kombis, back in the 68-70 years. might have been because it was cheaper to paint them all white, then add the lower colors, though. :)

it also helps to tint the side and rear windows. i, personally, don't advise tinting the front door windows ... too much hassle from the cops and i prefer to be able to see clearer at night out of those windows. tint the rear hatch window also ... if you pick the right tint, it doesn't affect the rear window defroster .... unless you later try to take the tint off (then you have to be really careful).

one list member got better service out of his a/c by making sure the air channels were straightened ... that is, no corners and dead side spaces for the air to blow into. apparently, there isn't a lot of nice smooth channels for the air inside those overhead units.

the problem with our buses, as i see it, is the amount of glass ... it's basically just a rolling greenhouse. :( the a/c is adequate IF you could stop additional heat coming into the bus. but try driving into the afternnoon sun on a july day, and you can feel the heat overpowering the a/c. now compare that windshield size to something like a honda ... our glass size is much larger (allowing more sunlight/heat in) and the interior volume of air is probably five or six times larger. i would imagine a panel van (without side and rear windows) would be cooler, if it had a/c and had the walls insulated.

joel