Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Nov 2001 11:00:46 -0700
From:         Gerald Masar <azsun99@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dramatically Improving AC capacity
Comments: To: Marshall Ruskin <mjruskin@HOME.COM>

My '90 Westy is already white, the windows tinted with heat absorbing material, the curtains in the back are closed all of the time and the walls, in addition to the original fiberglass, have foilfaced bubble wrap where I was able to put it. It was always much cooler in the back, so much so that my dog would refuse to get out at rest stops, once the sliding door was opened and she felt the blast from hell, also known as summer in the Southwest. My modification was to bring more of the cool air right up to the front where it dumps right on me. I made a duct from 3" diam. flexible aluminum vent duct. It expands from 3' to 8' and holds it's shape. It's plugged into the far right opening above the back seat, routed over the sliding door and attached to the back of the passenger seat headrest with the opening facing the drivers seat. A second duct could be made on the opposite side, for the passenger seat. It works great. I have since dressed it up by covering it with a gun sock, a stretchy, knit gun cover. They are 55" long, so it took two. Open up the closed end, stitch it so it won't come un-raveled and pull it over the alum. duct. It fits very snugly. I have photos of the duct in place, before I covered it, if anyone is interested.

Jerry

Subject: Dramatically Improving AC capacity

4. Alternative approaches not listed. > > Each of these approaches is a compromise between cost (including time), ease > of implementation, reliability and likelihood to meet performance > requirements. > > Action: > > I request that specific ideas be brought forward from the list, and that > these ideas be framed by the points 1 - 4 above. By framing the ideas as > requested, we can keep the discussion organized. > > Regards, > > Marshall Ruskin, 84 Westy > Aloha from Winnipeg!