Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Nov 2001 19:19:20 +0000
From:         Mike Finkbiner <mike_l_f@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      More Propane Capacity

Volks -

I am still puttering with installing a Plat Cat vented heater heater in my '87 Westy. It would be nice to have more propane on-board than the 2 1/2 gallon tank, and I'm too much of a tightwad to spend $210 plus shipping from the BD.

So - I'm still looking for a used tank, hoping to get a good one for $100 plus shipping or less (lack of Westphalia wrecking yards around here is a problem). I have checked with several places including Chris Jordan in Pennsylvania with no luck so far. Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

While thrashing around, I thought to check directly with Manchester Tank. Their web site indicates that they have 6" diameter RV tanks. When I wrote for more info, this is what I got -

I think even the largest of them would fit under the passenger side, and if you stay on the pavement, the 8" tank should still give you 5-6" of ground clearance. If you are doing Forest Service or other primitive roads, I wouldn't recommend it.

Otherwise, you could add quite a bit more capacity if you wanted to. Unfortunately, it won't come cheap. Manchester will only work through a dealer. Discount RV in Tigard Oregon has been helpful. This is what he came up with -

It would be interesting to know what the $94 price difference is, perhaps a float gague?

After all that, it looks like the Bus Depot is the best way to go if you want to buy new, but I'm still going to keep looking for a used tank.

Figured I would pass this on, just in case anyone else find it useful.

Mike Finkbiner '87 Westy Moscow, Idaho mike_l_f@hotmail.com