Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:30:53 -0800
From:         Steve Schwenk <steve@SYNCRO.ORG>
Subject:      Re: More Propane Capacity
Comments: To: Lawrence Johnson <larry_avery.johnson@SYMPATICO.CA>

I have a spare 3 gal tank i carry along, but i also have an entire extra westy tank sitting on my garage floor. I use the 3 gal tank for a propane stove i use outside the van, and I have the kit that allows me to hook it up to the westy propane system. That kit also allows you to run external gas appliances from the westy tank.

I have decided that i am sick of packing the extra tank along. It has worked OK and I use it all the time, but i am trying to eliminate as much carry-along cargo as i can, and this is one way to get rid of another piece of junk to drag along on camping trips.

So, to the person who installed an extra westy tank, any downsides you have discovered to doing this? How long did it take you to mount the tank? steve

Lawrence Johnson wrote: > > Mike, a much cheaper solution to the propane tank capacity problem is to carry a > spare BBQ tank. When extra capacity is needed, the BBQ tank with regulator can > be connected on the low pressure side by a "T" with valve to the low pressure > side of the van's propane line. Both the BBQ tank and the van's tank have their > own pressure regulator and open/close valves so you can easily switch to > whichever tank you want to use. This system supplies the entire camping setup: > stove/fridge/heater and is also handy in those situations where you can't get a > fill but can exchange BBQ bottles. In Europe, it is permitted to carry the > propane tank inside the van but with open venting to the outdoors through the > bottom of the enclosed tank cupboard. I don't think this setup is legal in the > US or Canada. I have only used our spare BBQ tank with it located outdoors and > disconnected while travelling. > Larry > '86 Syncro Westfalia > > <I am still puttering with installing a Plat Cat vented heater heater in my > '87 Westy. It would be nice to have more propane on-board than the 2 1/2 > gallon tank, and I'm too much of a tightwad to spend $210 plus shipping from > the BD.>