Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:34:35 -0800
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      My name is Ben,
              and I'm a projectaholic (was: ever heard of a turbo)
Comments: To: BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM

Ben, dude, just put down the magazines and stop what you're doing. Sometimes friends need to do an "intervention" when we see our other friends going down the path of addiction.

It starts with a little notion, maybe from reading an article or maybe from eating anchovie pizza before going to bed (in my case, I decided I need to cut an Audi 4000cs quattro in half, cut 32 cm out of the wheelbase, graft on the back of an Audi Coupe GT, add a 5kt motor, fender flares, and then I would have a homemade Sport Q. Thankfully, I don't have the time or resources--right now). Then you start to think about your project instead of working, and your productivity suffers. Then you start searching the classifieds, ebay and the junkyards. Then you start accumulating parts. Before you know it, you have dropped some serious coin and your neighors think you are a lunatic. And assuming the project actually works out, all you'll have to show for it is a pushrod boxer engine with holes in the pistons because you cranked up the boost too far.

We have seen this sickness afflict many friends on the list (don't want to mention any names here, but an SVX ENGINE AND A PORSCHE TRANNY PROJECT comes to mind, Andrew). Dude, just use your Passat/Audi mafia wheel source and get a 1.8T I4 engine cheap and put it in your diesel/GTI van.

On the other hand, maybe you should just do it, cause it would be cool and I'd like to see it.

Daniel Snow PhD Student UC Berkeley

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter