Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:05:00 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: gauge questions. What should they read,
              and why doesn't one work?
Comments: To: earthboy@HOME.COM

Question #1. The oil pressure gauge reads around 50 psi at idle, and 60 psi while driving. Reply: This will settle down once you get the engine warm. If you've gat a real tight engine you may still get 50-60 PSI at 3000 rpm on a hot engine. It will drop down to 10/20 psi at idle of 800/900 rpm. Question #2. The gauge has three connections on the back, "G" "+" and an upside down "T". I wired it with G to ground. Reply: The upside down T is the ground. The + is 12 volts, the G is from your sender.(if you have a double terminal sender, it should connect G to G and disregard the other terminal). Don't be surprised to find that it often takes twenty minutes for the oil temperature gauge to start functioning and the same time for it to drop back to 100c.

Stan Wilder 83 Air Cooled Westfalia

On Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:03:11 -0500 Greg Marshall <earthboy@HOME.COM> writes: > Hey folks, > > After many long hours and much grease and dirt, I have finished > installing my new trio of guages. The voltage guage works fine, but > I'm > having some problems with the other two. The oil pressure guage > reads > around 50 psi at idle, and 60 psi while driving. This seems high > considering that bentley says the minimum is 29 psi. Is this > pressure > normal, or have I wired somethign wrong? > > Secondly, my oil temperature guage is spiking and burying the needle > in > the rand hand side of the guage. I unplugged power to it pretty > quick > becasue this didn't seem healthy for it. The guage has three > connections on the back, "G" "+" and an upside down "T". I wired > it > with G to ground, + to power, and the upside down T to the sender. > I > also tried wiring + to power, G to the sender, and the upside down T > to > ground. It didn't spike, but after driving around the block a > couple of > times it still didn't move. > > Any help or tips would be appreciated. I put ton of time into this > and > I'd like to get it sorted out... > > thanks a bunch folks. > > > greg. > 82 westy. > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.