Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2001 00:02:15 -0800
From:         TinkerMan <tinkerman007@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: ## found it: automatic reset fuses for A/C system
Comments: To: Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM>

--- Larry Alofs <lalofs@ENTERACT.COM> wrote: > I don't feel that your comparison to a house AC is > valid. Electrical > power is used to turn the compressor in that type of > unit, while in a > car the compressor is turned by a belt from the > engine. The electrical > power needed to turn the fan and operate the clutch > should be > considerably less than that.

I completely agree with what you say. Still, that turbine in my van (I have that a/c duct in my ceiling) throws a hell of a lot of air...

> I don't have any > actual numbers, but 40 or > 50 amps seemed like a lot.

I do. My house a/c fan is rated at 270W (yes, I know it's bigger), and I estimate that van fan at least 150W. Also, I seem to recall that the radiator cooling fan takes a hell of a lot juice from the battery. I'm not sure if there's also a seperate fan for the a/c radiator, but in any case, when the a/c is working so is the fan automatically. Also, there's the compressor clutch solenoid (IIRC, the starter motor solenoid takes about 10A). Please note that we're talking CONTINUOUS usage, not peak like the starter motor, and you have to add to this the lights (150W) and other stuff (talking battery and alternator capacity now, not exactly related but will cause problems if you're not carefull). So, here's my approximation: Compressor Clutch: 10A? A/C radiator fan: 10A A/C evaporater blower: 15A other A/C relays, electronivs, etc: 5A

That easily gets us to the 40A range (don't catch me for accuracy...). I could easily measure the current when I have time (the fuesbox is a convenient spot) but maybe other list members have that info? Did you check the archives on this subject?

> Maybe the bearings in > the fan are in need of > lubrication, thus causing it to use more than the > expected current.

Yes, of course that's a possibility I was considering but it's not so noisy yet...

> Of course it's not much fun pulling the evaporator > down to find out.

Nope, and that's the main reason I'm delaying it. I wonder if anyone has some info about this procedure (I hate taking down those A/C ducts. I had them fall two times (the plastic mounting holes gave in) and last time I fixed it so robustly that I'd hate to take it down...maybe the bearings can be accessed from the openings?

> Good luck,

As always with our vans, we always need this...;-)

===== Cheers, TinkerMan