Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2001 07:55:20 -0800
From:         Paul Bingman <paul@EDGEWOOD.NET>
Subject:      Re: Oil filter changes on diesels?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>

On Wed, 14 Nov 2001, Shawn Wright wrote:

> From looking at pictures of the filter orientation on diesel > Vanagons, it appears that changing the oil filter would be a real > pain, and very messy, due to the angle of the filter, and the hoses > in the way. I assume this would be similar for any I4 conversion > using the diesel mounts. So is it really a pain, or am I imagining > it to be worse than it really is? > > I am thinking a remote oil cooler along with remote filter mount > would solve this problem. I assume that provided the attachment to > go on the oil filter flange has a bypass valve with the appropriate > pressure, (ie: designed for VW engines, 30psi?) it should work well. > Is anyone using such a setup?

I have an 83 diesel I bought new. There is a black plastic part that snaps around the oil filter and hangs underneath it. This is a stock part that you put on right before you screw on the new filter. It has a reservoir that catches *most* of the oil that wants to spill when you unscrew the filter. Even putting down some paper towels, I still manage to spill a little. It's a trick twisting the old filter out through the coolant hoses without pouring out the rest of the oil, but it can be done.

Always use a quality filter with pressure relief valve; I use Mann W 940/25 or VW 068 115 561B.

paul '83 Diesel Vanagon