Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:22:35 -0800
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Oil filter changes on diesels?
Comments: To: Shawn Wright <swright@zuiko.sls.bc.ca>

Shawn,

It can be messy, I found a couple of things that help...

1. the black plastic "thingy" (part # 068 115 517) that snaps around the filter works, sort of. I seldom use it now. I find it more awkward and less effective than...

2. a good quality plastic bag. Not too big, and slip it over the filter after you have loosened the filter enough to unscrew it by hand. Most if not all of the oil will be caught in the bag. Don't use one of those regular plastic grocery bags, you know, the ones which are only one molecule thick and seem to multiply in the "bag drawer".

List member Mark Keller has a neat remote filter set-up (the kind that uses toilet rolls as a filter medium) in his wasserboxer. It sure does look like filter changes (or roll changes) would be a snap, a clean snap.

Alistair

albell@uvic.ca '82 Westy, diesel=>I4 gas

/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign \ / No HTML/RTF in email X No Word docs in email / \ Respect Open Standards!