Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:23:35 -0500
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Rear Brake drums, adjusting brakes

I got my rear drums off without taking off the big nut like folks on the list said. I put the lug nuts back on the studs to protect the threads, and that was a good idea because I hit them a few times. I used a 3# hammer and started tapping. One side I think I hit about 100 times or more. I was really whacking it by the end. There is an area of the drum that I clearly dented on both drums, but it seems to have no effect. It is farther out than I really wanted to be hitting, but hit a few times by accident. I think if I were replacing shoes, it would be easier with the hub of the car, so I would try to get the big nut loose. I cleaned and lubed the adjusters a little before reassembling. And I observed the direction to push the star wheel to move the shoes out. And this is important. And this is why I wanted to get inside the drum (also just to check things out). And now I have forgotten which way you need to push the star wheel to make the shoes closer to the drum. I think it was push the star wheel down, or lever your screwdriver up if you prefer to think of it that way. It is the direction that is harder to turn the star wheel, because you are working against the springs.

I found that I would adjust them out until I couldn't really turn the drum by hand, then I would get in and pump the brakes a bunch, and pull the parking brake up and down too. Then I'd get out and the drum would turn by hand again. Repeated that process until pumping the brakes didn't make it loose again. Now brakes are very nice and parking brake actually holds the vehicle on one click!

Have fun, Edward