Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:28:38 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Buyers get a dealer diagnostic before buying
Comments: To: Joel Sell <jsell@PHILA.K12.PA.US>

In response to the message below My advice to anyone who is going to buy a used vanagon (or any car) is to get a dealer diagnostic and negotiate a price minus any serious repairs needed after the diagnostic. I just bought my 89 vanagon GL with 143,000 on the vehicle but 35,000 on a factory rebuilt engine, and a new transmission with only 29,000. (photo attached.) It ran perfectly (I thought) but I spent the $70 for a diagnostic and we agreed that if there were serious problems seller would deduct verified estimates for repairs from the final payment. We Also agreed that I, the buyer, would pay for the minor problems like a broken arm rest for which the dealer wants $145 plus $50 to install. (I found one for $50 at a wrecking yard.)

Because the vanagon ran so well (I thought as an inexperienced owner) I was tempted to NOT spend the $70 for the diagnostic but a friend encouraged me to do so since I was spending $12,000 for the vehicle.

Well there was $1100 in serious work which we deducted from the agreed price. Cooling pipes needed replacing, an oil pump gasket (leaking oil) and head gaskets.

As it turns out the timing was off also but discovered at the smog check for which I agreed to pay. It was adjusted after the final payment and we discovered hoses and tubing needing replacement and the rear brakes were improperly assembled by Midas. As well the distributor was the wrong one. All the extra work cost me the buyer $400 extra.

I am still happy with the final price due to the cherry condition of everything else, but Buyer beware. Get that diagnostic.

By the way you all I am enjoying the wealth of information on this group list. I wish I was as knowledgeable as the rest of you. Maybe in a year or two I will be able to do my own repairs.

William