Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Nov 2001 07:56:35 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 1.8t Vanagon
Comments: To: Kevin Dempsey <dempsey@UNITEDINDUSTRIALEQUIP.COM>

Looks like a really clean install. Is that engine brand new? Where did you source it? I've considered this in the past and decided that it would take a re-engineer of the whole vehicle. How are you handling the heat buildup from a turbo engine? How do you get airflow through the intercoolers? I used to have a Volvo 245 Turbo. After a hard run at night you could see the glow from the turbo on the ground beneath the engine. Eventually the paint on the hood and everything rubber under the hood died from the heat. We recently installed a TiiCo engine. Bumped the HP with a few tricks which forced me to realize that I need to improve brakes and suspension. I'm overdriving the brakes all the time now. Maybe you should include the S.A. big brake kit, Bilsteins and while your at it how about a Weddle 5 speed with taller final drive. Everyone should have a $30,000 Vanagon don't you think?

Good luck, I hope you figure this stuff out! Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: Kevin Dempsey To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2001 11:39 PM Subject: 1.8t Vanagon

Hi all,

Just wanted to tell you the 1.8t project is almost complete. There are just a few bugs to work out. The 91GL really gets up and moves though. You don't even use 1st gear. This creation can be viewed at http://photos.yahoo.com/mattman541 Ingredients: (1) 91GL Vanagon, (1) 1.8t Audi engine, (2) intercoolers & (?) time & money. I'm pretty sure my friend Matt thinks it's worth it. If anyone else has done a turbo conversion I would like to know.

Kevin 82 Westy 1.6TD 01 Jetta 1.8t

[text/html]