Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Nov 2001 09:05:02 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      removing gastank supplemental to ken "va87"

I removed my fuel tank this weekend and thought I might add to ken's very good instructions at vanagain.com. #1, take the time to remove the spare tire and spare tire carrier so that you may view the tank before and after replacing the bird's nest of hoses. #2 Label the four hoses to the two plastic tanks from the wheel well. #3 When the tank drops toward the back leave the front of the tank on the lip and begin assembling the new hose crows nest. The right side is the busy side. Oddly there is an apparent reversal of the hoses to the left and right tanks. #4 After the new hose assembly is done drop the tank completely removing old hoses from grommets and replace old grommets with new. I lubed the inner side of the grommets only with brake fluid. #5 "MOST IMPORTANT STEP" Prepare the tank for lifting by plugging and clamping all hoses of the crows nest with the single exception of the left crossover plug which can be pushed in after the tank is lifted into place. The crossover tube will be held to the body of the van from above and will be too short to attach both end with the tank on the front lip. If there are two people you can push the left crossover plug into place while lifting the tank. Access to the left plug is easily reached from the spare tire area.

One question I have is with regards to the tank itself. I noticed signs of rubbing "shiny metal" on the right side of the tank. I placed duct tape over this area to slow down the wearing and to allow for some repositioning during the installation. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of wear. thanks gary